March 17, 2011

St. Patty's Day!

This is one of my favorite nights of the year to cook!  I love hearty food, good drinks, and the general spirit of the day.  And although I don't care for sauerkraut, there are plenty of other delicious, festive meals to make.

This year, my menu consists of brown bread,





Here's my recipe:

1 1/2 c flour                                        Heat oven to 425.  Stir together dry ingredients.  Mix milk and 
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour                   honey and add to flour mixture.  Turn onto floured surface and 
1/2 c quick oats                                   shape into 2 circles.  Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 
1/2 c wheat germ                                15 minutes.  Reduce temperature to 400 and bake for another 15
1 1/2 t baking soda                             minutes.  Enjoy with stew or smothered with butter and jam!
3/4 t salt
1 3/4 c buttermilk
2 T honey

Guinness Stew over mashed potatoes,

(here's the recipe I used from Food Network.)

and Pavlova with fresh whipped cream and kiwis!





We're also listening to Pandora all day on a station I made last year.  Use 'The Fenians' and enjoy the sounds!  A few of our favorites are 'Galway Girl', 'Big Strong Man', 'Road to Dublintown', and 'The Night Pat Murphy Died'.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment